Friday, July 25, 2014

Best Ebay Sales of 2014

I have a feeling that at least a few of you that have stumbled onto my blog are wondering, "How much money can you really make on thrift store items?" I've said it once prior, but I would like to repeat myself - I am not a professional reseller. I focus my efforts thrifting on finding amazing items for myself and my family, and occasionally, something is too great to pass up. I have a day-job, and some months I sell a ton. Other months, like this month, I am sharing a car, so shipping is beyond difficult - and I really don't put much effort into my ebay store.

That said, I would like to share with you on this blog the 10 items that have made the most money, after shipping and fees, so far in 2014. This should give you an idea of where I found things, how much money they were, and what profits I've seen. I'm doing this particular post in pure dollar value - not profit percentage, because I think it's more exciting that way.



New Moncler Puffy Quilted Boots


Price: $85.22
Sold for: $380
Total Fees: $49.32
Shipping: $10.24
-----------------------
Profit: $235.23

I found these boots at a local consignment shop brand new! They were marked "down boots," with no reference to the brand. A prior obsession with Moncler told me that even if they didn't fit (as they didn't), the resale value is crazy in Winter. One of my years' first sales.



Fleurette Black and White Vintage Tweed Coat


Price: $21.79
Sold for: $299.99
Total Fees: $40.66
Shipping: $12.90
-----------------------
Profit: $229.89

I lived in California up through this year, and I would go to LA once every month or so, just to thrift. The stores there are basically like manna from heaven. You have to have a lot of discipline. On more than one occasion, I filled my car to the brim with designer clothing, after 24 hours (two days) of nothing but thrifting. One trip, I purchased 3 vintage Fleurette coats. Although I've worn and loved all three, I decided 3 big wool coats was more than enough. I cut down to the two I loved most, knowing I could sell this one at a great profit!



New Louis Vuitton lock heels


Purchased at the same time as the Moncler boots, these heels did fit me, but the price tag made it too tempting to sell, given that they weren't a style I'd wear frequently!


Price: $24.81
Sold for: $399.99
Total Fees: $52.78
Shipping: $0.00
-----------------------
Profit: $229.22

Louboutin New Silver Simples
Price: $91.55
Sold for: $349.99
Total Fees: $45.45
Shipping: $12.32
-----------------------
Profit: $200.67


 Oh how I loved these simples. I'm a Louboutin fanatic, but these darling shoes sold so quickly, I barely had time to envision myself in them. They were also 1/2 a size snug, so I knew they were someone else's treasure. They were on a 60% off sale at a local consignment shop.

Hermes Black Ankle Boots
 

Price: $21.84
Sold for: $199.99
Total Fees: $26.10
Shipping: $0.00
-----------------------
Profit: $145.66

Here's one sale where the store had no idea what they had. These shoes were in the back, but my mom very politely asked if there was any new merchandise, and we were allowed to go look. The boots had not been priced, but they stood out to me immediately. I'd never owned anything Hermes at that point, so despite being FOUR full sizes too big, I kept them for 3 years!! The lady priced them at $19.99 for me when I asked, and while I'm sure she thought that was a hefty price tag for boots, I almost cried. My mom told me later that I was shaking.

Vintage 1950s Madeline Bags Alligator skin Purse


Price: $24.81
Sold for: $190
Total Fees: $31.80
Shipping: $0.00
-----------------------
Profit: $133.39

Purchased at a small local charity shop in Grand Rapids Michigan, I couldn't believe this beautiful bag. It's huge, too - over a foot tall. The skin was gorgeous. This shop was funny - things like Chicos or Ann Taylor were priced at $15-20, but I found gems like this purse and 1960s Christian Dior earrings and a brooch for steals. Keep your eyes open!



Ferragamo Black Continental Wallet
Price: $30.59
Sold for: $179.99
Total Fees: $23.52
Shipping: $3.29
-----------------------
Profit: $122.59

Another more recent purchase, I got the Ferragamo wallet at a local consignment shop, buried in the back of the wallet selection. Not even marked on sale, I suspect the owner had no idea how much this could be worth. Ferragamo is hit or miss - know what you're buying, and even a vintage piece can be a gold mine. That said - it can also sit forever. I find Gancini and Vara items to be most profitable - with Vara being the most expensive.


Gucci Monogram 1990's bucket bag in tan


Price: $41.52
Sold for: $200.00
Total Fees: $26.10
Shipping: $10.00
-----------------------
Profit: $122.39

Another local consignment shop pricing error (in my opinion). This Tom Ford era beauty was in mint condition, but it was priced as low as many very pre-loved vintage Guccis I've seen in thrift stores. Not on sale, this was actually priced to sell so low! I didn't recognize the unique GG pattern initially, which is how I assume it went without purchase until I got there.

Burberry Large Purple Checked Tote



Price: $26.22
Sold for: $169.99
Total Fees: $22.23
Shipping: $5.84
-----------------------
Profit: $115.70

All three of the last items came from the same consignment store in the same month. My guess is someone was just learning pricing. I can't complain!

Manolo Blahnik Stingray Heels


Price: $27.30
Sold for: $169.99
Total Fees: $22.23
Shipping: $5.84
-----------------------
Profit: $114.62

Another pair of shoes I held onto for a LONG time before selling, these were also 4 sizes too big, but my mom (who is that size) couldn't wear them due to the pointy toe. It wasn't until I went back to selling excess items that I thought to sell them. I loved the skin on these. I never regretted buying them, even when they didn't work for her, because they were just so darned pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment